Apply for an Address


New businesses or residences can obtain a Bayfield County address by applying online or submitting a paper form application.


Online Address Application

Use the online address application to easily submit your request and payment online. You can pay via PayPal, by mailing a check, or even delivering your payment to the Land Records Department.

Note that you will need your tax ID number, which is available on your tax statement.

HOW-TO Apply for an Address

Apply in Person or by Mail

Paper Form Address Application (PDF)

Submit paper form applications and payments to:

Land Records Department
Bayfield County Courthouse
117 E 5th Street
P.O. Box 878
Washburn, WI 54891

Additionally, please contact Land Records at 715-373-6156 with any questions.

Request a replacement address sign

If your site address sign has been damaged, please complete the Replacement Sign Form (PDF) to request a replacement sign.

Mailbox Guidelines - Please Read

Highway Department Policy on Mailboxes (PDF)


In order to locate people in emergency situations and to facilitate rural postal delivery, every residence and place of business in Bayfield County (except the Cities of Washburn and Bayfield) has been assigned a county address. This address is made up of two components - an address number and a road name. The assigned address will provide the information necessary to pinpoint a location on a map.

The address number is a four or five digit number based on a grid of 1,000 numbers per mile. The grid starts at the southwest corner of the county. A predominately east-west road will be numbered using the numbers on the east-west grid of 1,000 to 38,000. A predominately north-south road will be numbered using the numbers along the north-south grid of 40,000 to 96,000. Even numbers are on the north and east sides of a road; odd numbers are on the south and west sides of a road. Address numbers get larger going north and east.

County road sign

Countywide Address System Ordinance

View the Countywide Address System Ordinance, adopted in 1998 and revised in 2005.

Looking to Change Your tax mailing Address?

Submit an address change request using the Address Change Form.