The County Surveyor is responsible for the county’s remonumentation and maintenance of section corners in the Public Land Survey System (PLSS) as well as maintaining survey records and reviewing Certified Survey Maps.
INFORMATION FOR LAND OWNERS
LIST OF SURVEYORS
View the List of Surveyors (PDF) to contact a private surveyor in our area. Please note that this is not a complete listing of licensed surveyors or any recommendation of a specific firm or individual.
Information for Surveyors
Digital CSM Review Process
As the Land Records staff and many other county staff are working remotely away from the courthouse to prevent and slow the spread of coronavirus / COVID-19 in our community, we ask that surveyors follow our digital CSM review process.
- Complete the Bayfield County CSM Review Process Form.
- Submit CSM review payment online via PayPal. CSM review will only begin once payment has been received.
- EMAIL DOCUMENTS
- Email the CSM along with related paperwork to: email@example.com.
- REVIEW PROCESS
- The County Surveyor, Zoning Administrator, and Real Property Lister review CSMs.
- Surveyors may receive feedback and corrections during the review process; please email a corrected CSM to firstname.lastname@example.org if changes are required by the County Surveyor or other reviewing party.
- Once all of these corrections are made and the CSM has been reviewed and approved, surveyors will be notified that a hard copy of the final CSM is ready to be recorded in the Register of Deeds office.
- After the review process, surveyors can record a final CSM in the Register of Deeds office by mailing a hard copy CSM on the approved paper to the Register of Deeds.
- Include check payment for the $30 CSM recording fee and make check payable to "Bayfield County Register of Deeds." Please make sure all other signatures and stamps are completed before mailing your CSM.
- Once the CSM is received in the ROD office, it will be held until the Zoning Administrator can add a signature.
Bayfield County Register of Deeds, 117 E 5th Street, P.O. Box 813, Washburn, WI 54891
- Application for Corner Restoration (PDF)
- Application for Lot Division (PDF)
- CSM Sign-Off (PDF)
- Monument Record Tie Sheet (PDF)
- Remonumentation Program Info (PDF)
- Survey Review Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Surveyor’s Checklist (PDF)
This section provides information on surveying in Wisconsin primarily as related to mapping. From here you have access to applications for statewide geodetic control stations and Public Land Survey System corners (PLSS), and CORS data for Wisconsin (including links to the WISCRS). Users can also obtain information pertaining to the Wisconsin Height Modernization Program (HMP), which improves the density of geodetic control stations listed in the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS) with accurate orthometric heights (elevations) throughout the state. In addition, our resource links provide quick access to a variety of survey-related topics.
NGS DATA EXPLORER
The National Geodetic Survey Data Explorer is an interactive map to find control points.
OTHER SURVEY LINKS
- Original field survey notes conducted by the General Land Office between 1832 and 1866.
- WI Department of Safety and Professional Services Land Survey Laws and Regulations
EXPANSION OF MOORE RD
Moore Road in Barnes was expanded and we didn't want to lose any section corner monuments due to the construction. This meant working in the field, finding the reference pipe, using a metal detector to locate the corner, and then using GPS to mark the location so we can locate it again in the future.