Guide to Starting your Vacation Rental
The State of Wisconsin requires all short-term rentals to hold a lodging license. You will also need a zoning permit from Bayfield County or the local municipality. Finally, many towns collect room tax. The following steps will help guide you through the process and make sure you have everything you need to be ready to rent your property.
- Wisconsin State Lodging Code ATCP 72. for short term rentals and ATCP 73 for Bed and Breakfast Establishments
- Bayfield County Health Department Lodging License Application.
- Lodging License Checklist
- Short Term Rental Guide - Pamphlet from Wisconsin Lodging Association, DATCP and WI Municipalities.
- Bayfield County Planning and Zoning Permit Application
- Bayfield County Planning and Zoning ordinance
- Fee Schedule
- City of Bayfield only allows nightly rentals in the commercially zoned districts. Contact the City for more information. You may apply for a bed and breakfast conditional use permit if you meet the bed and breakfast requirements.
- City of Washburn requires a conditional use permit for nightly rentals in residential districts. Contact the City of Washburn Zoning Administrator for more information.
Bayfield County Tourism would be happy to add you to their business list and interactive map by using their online form! They also have a list of resources for local businesses which includes advertising opportunities in the official Bayfield County publications. Also, if you are a member of any of these organizations, then your vacation rental/lodging facility will be listed on their website(s):